in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

ARC Review: Sugar Rush by Sawyer Bennett


I wasn't sure if Sawyer Bennett could do it again in this book. I admit, I was nervous. Sometimes when a Part 1 is a blockbuster hit, Part 2 just can't live up to the hype. And then I found out there was going to be a Part 3 and I was like WHAT? How is this going to work. Well, trust me, it all works. OMG, does it all work. This book had me on the edge of my seat and then I fell off the edge on to the floor, popped back up and thought 'I can't be unconscious, I have to read Part 3.'

In case you don't realize this, Part 2 picks up exactly where Part 1 in the series ended. You cannot read these books out of order and do not read any further in this review if you have not read Part 1. Go get Part 1 and read it, you will thank me.

So you know the last book ended with Beck slamming the door on Sela because he found out she had been lying to him and was not willing to hear her out when she came clean about the reason for the lies- the reason being that JT raped her.  Sela is tortured by the loss of Beck when this book first begins. I actually felt her agony because it was so well depicted and so deeeep.  Beck suffers from trust issues because of things that happened in his past so it takes him a few minutes to realize he has made a serious error. When Beck calms down and starts to consider the facts, he understands how he misinterpreted what Sela was telling him. It’s amazing how the meaning of words is so flexible depending on how we filter them. When JT sees that he actually misunderstood Sela’s confession, he immediately goes to get his girl.

I so appreciated Bennett for not dragging out the emotional angst between Sela and Beck. Beck made a mistake, he confesses the mistake and the reason for it. The reason makes sense. Sela understands, she forgives Beck and lets it go. I loved that because too often I feel like authors are dragging out pages by creating unhelpful drama. From this point forward, Beck and Sela join forces to put an end to JT but this time in a legal and professional manner as opposed to Sela who just wanted to put a bullet in his brain.

The love story between Sela and Beck is so sweet. Their connection feels real and they build this really enduring love right before our eyes. Beck would do about anything for Sela but the same is true of her. At every turn, both show a willingness to give up things that they really thought mattered for the sake of each other. Sela is willing to give up her revenge mission and Beck is willing to give up his business but together they find a way forward. The new plan is all sorts of twisty turny and fraught with risk. There are several surprises in this book that I will not even allude to because I will not risk spoiling anything. What I can tell you is that if you are like me, you are not ready for the revelations. Hang on to your hats, kindles, whatever. By the time you get to the end of this book, you will be clutching your pearls and gasping. Everything goes according to plan and then nothing goes according to plan.  The book ends on a cliffhanger with some complete shockers that will have you grabbing for the next installment. This is just a really good sequel. This whole series so far is on my MUST READ list. I’m a sugar addict!

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


1 comments :

  1. Great write up! I agreed with everything you wrote! Now on to Sugar Free!

    ReplyDelete