in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Review: Third Base by Heidi McLaughlin


After finishing Third Base by Heidi McLaughlin I don't really know where to begin. There were things that I liked here, and several things that I didn't. My feelings are so mixed that I feel like I am still trying to figure out exactly how I felt about this one overall. This book is a standalone story with no cliffhanger and is the first in her Boys of Summer series.

Ethan Davenport is a major league baseball player for the Boston Renegades. While he is a starter, he hasn't quite reached superstar status yet. That doesn't stop him from getting what he wants though, and he has never had an issue getting the girl. But there is one girl that he wants to know more about, and she always sits along the third base line behind the enemy dugout. When it becomes more than he can stand, he asks the usher to bring her to him after a game. Daisy Robinson intrigues him, and the more he learns about her the more he wants her. But Daisy has secrets and they could change everything. 

I loved that this book is told from Ethan's POV. I happen to really love when an author gives the hero's POV whether by itself or told along with the heroines. I felt like it really fit this story to be told entirely by Ethan's POV, and I am not sure that I would have liked it done differently. I did have a bit of trouble with Daisy here though, and even though I liked her and Ethan I didn't really feel like I was that invested in them. I wasn't really feeling the emotional connection between them, and that had me struggling to stay interested at times. There was also some things that bothered me when it came to Ethan's behavior with his ex/best friend that I felt were cheating and he didn't seem to feel guilty or sorry at all. In fact he seemed more concerned with her feelings than he did with Daisy's and I didn't like that at all. While I did feel his chemistry with Daisy and I do enjoy some angst, I didn't like how it all went down and it made me mad.

I did think that this book was slow at times too, and that didn't help with my already waning interest. There were times that I found myself wanting to skim or put the book down and walk away, and I didn't expect that here at all. I did like that Ethan wasn't in college about to make it big or a huge superstar though like you often see with sports romance stories. It was nice to see him already in the bigs, yet not a huge star. The other thing that I will say is that for me, Daisy's secrets weren't hard to figure out. I had pretty much guessed everything early on, and while that didn't stop me from continuing it did change the way I experienced this story. There were things that I liked here, and I am a fan of Heidi's. This wasn't my favorite story by her though, but I know I will read more from her in the future.

**Review Copy Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |





0 comments :

Post a Comment